Friday, March 5, 2010

Tales of a product junkie

Okay I admit it, I have always had problems when it comes to BSS (Beauty Supply Stores). I go in with good intentions and come out with more than I intended on getting. I wish I could say since I decided to transition and then ultimately natural my BSS issues have gotten better but unfortunately I believe they have gotten worse.

It started with a need to get some type of moisturizing shampoo and conditioner because my hair is really dry. So I bought some Mane and Tail Shampoo and conditioner because it claimed to moisturize. Well the M&T did exactly what it was supposed to do and my hair felt get but the shampoo contains sulfates which after reading oodles of material on the internet and You Tube videos I have learned sulfates are not good for our hair. So I put the M&T in the graveyard(will discuss this later), Then I heard all these rave reviews about Organix shampoos and conditioners, well I assumed since the name was "Organix" it would be organic and good for you but once again their were those sulfates and cones, and since when does conditioner lather like shampoo at least this was my experience with the Organix products. So you guessed it off to the graveyard it went. So currently I have no shampoo to use because I don't want to use any sulfate containing product. As for conditioner I am currently using Suave Proffessionals Humectant, Regular Suave and VO5 Moisture Milks conditioner. Co-washes are working wonders for me and when I feel the need to deep cleanse my hair I do a Baking Soda/ ACV rinse.

Gels are my second weakness of course the ones that contained alcohol landed in the graveyard but I still have a lot of gel. Let's see my favorite is IC Fantasia, Next is the Ecco Styler Gel with Olive Oil, then ORS Lock and Twist Gel. I have Aloe Vera Gel, Blue Magic Curl Activator Gel and Isoplus Styler Gel. I think that's all of my gels oh I forgot I also have Blue Duchess Gel Activator. I like IC Fantasia to smooth down my edges when I do puffs. I use the ORS Lock and Twist Gel for flat twists and 2 strand twists. The other gels I use to define my curls.

Oils Oils and more Oils........

I'm in love with Extra Virgin Olive Oil Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and my new found favorite is Africa's Best Herbal Oil, it smells so good. I only have one type of essential oil right now and that is Peppermint oil. I use that mainly in my Shea Butter Mix or when I make a conditioning mix. Oh yeah almost forgot about the latest purchase- Doo Gro Mega Thick Growth Oil (yeah no mineral oil- I'm learning) and Cantu Shea Butter No Drip Hair and Scalp Oil this one does contain mineral oil

Leave Ins..

I only have two different LIC because I usually treat the regular conditioners as a leave in. I have Cantu Shea Butter LIC and Motion Triple Action LIC. Don't really use either because ultimately that is not the only thing I am going to leave in my hair and both causes flakes when mixed with other products.




Miscellaneous Products

Organic Hair Mayo, Lustra Silk Shea Butter and Cholestreol




The Number 1 product I can't and will not live without. 100% Unrefined Shea Butter, I love this stuff it moisturizes, smells good and leaves my hair soft and manageable.  I have discovered different mixes and have come up with two different concoctions both have worked well on my hair and my skin.

Oh I almost forgot my spray bottles currently filled with I have no idea but whatever mixture it is it is still doing the job of moisturizing my hair. I also use honey in most of my mixes because it helps draw the moisture to my hair. 

Help me I must be stopped. 

Anyone have any suggestions for Shampoos and Conditioners No Sulfates and no 'cones'

2 comments:

  1. Conditioners with no 'cones? I use Giovanni Tea Tree, Smooth and Silk conditioners and Giovanni Direct Leave In. There is also Terax Crema (from Sephora or Amazon) that I use. The great one about this is that when I researched all of the ingredients, all were made to aid in "slip" and softness.

    I also use Kimberly Kimble Leave In Styling Serum, but...I don't know. The ingredients are just "okay" even though there are no obvious offenders like 'cones, grain alcohols, or mineral oil.

    Bleh, I only use ACV to cleanse, and it's been working out great. If I do ever feel like I need a shampoo, I use Design Essentials Moisture Retention Conditioning shampoo. I've had the bottle for almost two years, and I still have some left. It does have a sulfate (sue me!haha), but it never leaves my hair dry and tangled afterward- quite the opposite.

    I might try Aubrey Organics and Oyin Handmade i nthe very near future, everyone loves that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestions. I made a promise to myself to at least use the products I have or find a good home for them before I buy anything else. I do want to try the Giovanni line, I see it at Walmart all the time. As for Oyin Handmade and Aubrey Organics they are on my list too. Have you heard anything about Jason Organics I think that's the name?

    ReplyDelete